Thursday, November 11, 2021

Twilight: between the worlds

 My visit to Kerry in her days of twilight assured me she was about to set out on a very important journey, her soul journey towards tranquillity. It is not easy to see someone at this stage of life, but on realising that she was in deep communion with her soul journey I felt relieved and comforted – privileged to be with her for a short time. It’s the same when I sit at the lagoon, or drive through those big old trees as I ask them to give me their loving Earth hug. It is the feeling of being held by the Mystery that is Life and Death. While the quilt may be a metaphor for where I am standing personally also, confronted by the likelihood of dying from a terminal cancer, this quilt holds a deeply felt appreciation for and a loving memory of my extraordinary dear friend Kerry.


The gum leaves have again presented themselves for inclusion on the surface of the calm waters of the quilt. Already cut out from hand-dyed cottons, they have been saved in another shoebox and ready to be used. I decided to cut out a few more in red. Ever since noticing the red leaves of gums, both new and fallen into the leaf litter that is ever present in my backyard, I have gained confidence in including such brightness into a bush scenario.  And at this time of the year, the magnificent spring blooms of waratahs stands in the bush cannot be ignored. They celebrate the backyard of the Australian bush that we all share.

The final naming of a quilt usually becomes obvious after it has been finished, even though it has most likely been there from the inception. As the parts are saying to me this is the Glenbrook Lagoon, a place of natural beauty, peace and tranquillity, I began to think of other words, such as twilight. The word resides between dark and light; it could apply to both early evening and morning. It is a liminal space in Earth’s traverse around Sun, and in Kerry’s transition to the liminal space between life and death. It’s a space of being, in twilight between diminishing light or diminishing dark. Hence the name for this little quilt has become: “Twilight: between the worlds”.

1'7" (480)x1'2"(360)


Here's a final thought: 

BEING AN ARTIST 

(as we all are in so many different forms) MEANS 

FOREVER HEALING YOUR OWN WOUNDS 

WHILE ENDLESSLY EXPOSING THEM.


No comments:

Post a Comment